TAXI! Sunset To Sunrise.
To support my independence in my photojournalism I drove a Sydney taxi for 15 years. For the last six years I photographed and documented my passengers. I drove at night between sunset and sunrise. I documented the pick-up time, location and destination of each passenger I photographed. On the journey I conversed a little about their lives and their reasons for catching my taxi. A twelve-hour taxi shift presents and telescopes a variety of characters and situations that would normally be experienced over a much longer period of time in every-day life.
Each of the more than 250 passengers photographed signed a model release form permitting me to use their image and information.
(I am currently looking for a publisher for this photo series. If you have an interest please contact me.)
- 2009 New York Photo Festival:
- Nomination (final round) in Book Category for TAXI!
- 2006 Newtown Flicks (Newtown Film Festival):
- Finalist for TAXI! Two years in one night.
- 2005 Reportage (Australia’s leading intnl photojournalist festival):
- Winner People’s Choice Award for TAXI! Two years in one night. (Sydney and Melbourne).
TAXI! Sunset To Sunrise. Exhibitions:
- 2009 New York Photo Festival, Nomination (final round) in Book Category for TAXI! series.
- 2008 Parnidis Landscape Reserve, Baltic Sea, Lithuania, TAXI! projection for the local photographic society (an adjunct to Kaunas Photo ’08).
- 2008 Kaunas Photo 08, International Photo Festival, TAXI! series.
- 2008 Spring Kaunas Photo 08, Lithuania, an exhibition showcasing Australian photographers.
- 2006-2008 TVS (Independent Television Sydney), TAXI! Two Years in one night. , screened five times.
- 2007 Daylesford Photo Biennale, Daylesford, Victoria, TAXI!
- 2007 Head On (portrait exhibition), Australian Centre for Photography, Sydney, photo in projection section.
- 2006 Alliance Francaise, Sydney, In Transit.
- 2006 Geraldton Regional Art Gallery (Western Australia), Suburban Edge (part of a national tour by the Australian Centre for Photography).
- 2006 New Theatre, Newtown, Sydney, Newtown Flicks 2006 Film Festival, my audio/visual piece TAXI! Two years in one night., screened twice and short-listed for the finalist selection.
- 2005 Palace Academy Twin Cinema, Sydney and Palace George Cinemas, Melbourne, Reportage 2005 – Australia’s leading cinematic presentation of Australian and international photojournalism. My series won the People’s Choice Award in Sydney and Melbourne.
- 2005 Victorian Regional Art Gallery, Suburban Edge (see April 2004).
- 2005 Darwin Art Gallery, Suburban Edge (see April 2004).
- 2004 Tusculum House, Sydney, Cross Projections 2004 (a sell-out digital projection show of 14 photojournalists), TAXI! Two years in one night.
- 2004 Australian Centre for Photography, Sydney, Suburban Edge. Photos taken over a one year period of my passengers. Ten photographers were exhibited from around Australia the exhibition toured nationally for 2 years.